In this post you will learn ...
If there’s one thing you’ve likely learned while living in Albany during the crazy winter of 2014, it is this:
Your windows are helping to protect your home from the bitter elements outside, or they really need to be replaced before next year’s storms.
According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, approximately one-third of heat loss in the home happens through the windows. Considering on average the winter temperatures drop below 35 degrees five months out of the year in Albany, this means much of your well-needed heat is heading outside.
At times, window maintenance, including tasks like caulking or weather stripping, is all you need. At other times, replacement is the only option. This previous post provides tips to determine if it is time to replace your windows.
Items to consider include:
- Age. Older windows are not as energy efficient.
- Fitting to frame. Do they jiggle around? If you lock the window can you still move it?
- Condition of the window frame. Is it peeling? Are there holes in the frame around the window?
- Amount of drafts after caulking and replacing weather stripping. These drafts will show you that air is transferring from one side of the window to the other. If you try a few window maintenance tips and you can still feel a draft, you might need to replace your windows.
What to Look for in New Windows
When replacing windows, it is important to know the best type to use. Life in Albany, with elements from rain to snow to ice (as well as sunny and warm days!) should be taken into consideration when making a purchase. This PDF file explains in detail items to look for when choosing new windows in New York.
One main consideration in Albany: Window panes and frames that offer maximum energy protection. For instance, Stanek’s ULTRAEXTREME™ replacement window features one-inch-thick insulated glass, plus options for triple-pane and Low-E, which boost energy efficiency.
Your new windows should also:
- Comply with Albany’s energy code. Most that are ENERGY STAR ® certified do, and all of Stanek Windows™ are ENERGY STAR certified.
- Have a U-value of less than .30. U-value rates how much heat is lost. The lower the U-factor, the more energy-efficient the window is. This is especially necessary in Albany due to cold temperatures. Our ULTRAEXTREME double-hung windows surpassed ENERGY STAR requirements when it came to U-value and SHG, another consideration in energy efficiency.
- Have an NFRC label, which means the window has been verified as energy code compliant. All Stanek Windows ™ are certified NFRC.
- Be properly installed. Hire a professional working for a company you trust to install the windows. Improper installation could potentially ruin your new window. Along with this, improper installation can shorten the life of the window while allowing intruders easy access to your home and valuables.
Replacement windows don’t have to be boring, either! One way to really boost curb appeal is to create an appealing way to look into and out of the home. Stanek’s energy-efficient windows come in a variety of shapes and colors to match any home décor. Check out our gallery of past projects that incorporate energy efficiency with style.
Why Choose Stanek Windows?
We offer high quality windows, free consultations, and professional service with every single job. Our windows are certified by NFRC and ENERGY STAR.
Call 1-800-230-8301 today to schedule a free, in-home, no-obligation consultation with a Stanek Windows professional. During this visit we can check your current windows and their condition. If it is time to replace your windows, we will also offer an estimate at this time.